The Catalytic Grant Awards are a joint effort by Global Resilience Partnership (GRP), Climate Justice Resilience Fund (CJRF) and implemented by International Centre for Climate Change and Development (ICCCAD). These awards aim to provide initial seed funding to incentivize partnerships and collaborations beyond events to develop ideas fostered during conferences like the Gobeshona Global Conference. Five winning teams will be awarded grants to implement their ideas about enhancing locally-led climate change adaptation and resilience. Each team will be awarded $5000 USD.
- Increase incentives and opportunities for cross-disciplinary capacity development and ideation;
- Strengthen global community of practice on Locally-led Adaptation (LLA) and resilience;
- Strengthen southern leadership in the community of practice;
- Strengthen south-south and south-north knowledge exchange and collaboration; and actions on adaptation and resilience; and
- Create continuity between global conferences such as Gobeshona and Community Based Adaptation (CBA).
How It Started
Work on climate change adaptation and resilience has generated a vibrant community of academics and non-academics in the Global South. This community has an annual cycle of events that include the International Conference on Community-based Adaptation to Climate Change (CBA), the Gobeshona Global Conference and the Development & Climate (D&C) Days. These events allow this community of practice to come together at regular intervals, build new relationships, and work together on new ideas.
To help foster continuity between these events, the Catalytic Grants were first trialed and successfully launched at the first Gobeshona Global Conference in January 2021. The first round proved to be widely popular, with five teams receiving awards to continue working on their ideas sparked during Gobeshona. AT CBA15, three more teams were awarded Catalytic Grants.
Building on the first two rounds of the Catalytic Grants, we are excited announce that this opportunity is available for all Gobeshona Global participants. The purpose of the award is to foster and grow collaborations that emerge during the conference through discussions, session interactions, and networking. With the support provided by this award, the winning teams can continue developing their idea beyond the conference space.
The teams will get access to the best resilience knowledge, tools and approaches through the Resilience Knowledge Coalition. They will also have the opportunity to participate in a number of communications workshops to refine their communications strategies, storytelling skills, and social media plans.
Application Process & Timeline
- The call for applications opens on 21 March 2022.
- The deadline to fill in the application form is 3 April 2022.
- Projects will be selected by crowd voting through the Gobeshona website.
- Groups will be notified by email on 8 April 2022 if they have successful or not.
- After 8 April 2022, the selected participants have the opportunity to participate in a guidance call with ICCCAD, CJRF, and GRP to learn more about the grant and the process.
- The deadline for final project proposal submission is 18 April 2022.